Renée Spencer, PhD, MFT: Founder
This site was created to help consumers make informed choices about the two main categories of psychotherapy. It was launched in January, 2010 and is a work in progress.
As a psychotherapist with a presence on the Internet since 2002, Dr. Spencer has been contacted by numerous people over the years with questions about what kind of therapy is right for them. The idea for this site grew out of these inquiries and is an attempt to help consumers learn about the two major types of psychotherapy and decide for themselves which would be the better fit given their preferences and circumstances.
There are literally hundreds of therapies available. These two categories were chosen as a focus because they are the most prevalent and have the most effectiveness data to support their use.
In the interest of full disclosure, while I do my best below to present both approaches in a fair and unbiased way, I work largely from a psychodynamic perspective. That being said, I do not believe that psychodynamic therapy is a good fit for everyone and it’s helping people discern for themselves which type of therapy appeals to them that is the motivation behind this site.
- Psychoanalyst-in-training, San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis (2009-present)
- M.A., Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies
- Ph.D., Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, San Francisco
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist #40511)
- Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacist (Registered Pharmacist Licencse #43623)
- Assistant Clinical Professor, UCSF School of Pharmacy
- College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (CPNP), Member
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT), Member
- Member of GoodTherapists.org, a directory of the most highly qualified therapists
Dr. Spencer has a psychotherapy practice in San Francisco, California: www.reneespencer.com